Good Shepherd Mission is part of the Episcopal Church in Navajoland Area Mission and the Southeast Region. We have three churches: St Mark's in Coalmine, NM and St. Joseph's in Many Farm, AZ.
Good Shepherd Mission was started in the 1880's as a medical mission to the Navajo. A pink stone and stucco building was built as the first hospital on the Reservation. Today - we have 50 acres in this high desert and canyon land, 12 buildings, most of them 100 years old, a large organic/permaculture garden that incorporated ancient Navajo gardening techniques, and a beautiful historic church - built out of that same pink stone.
We have a devoted church community in the Episcopal tradition. We incorporate many elements of Navajo spirituality, including our version of the Blessingway Prayer - and are a destination for Mission groups and retreatants looking for beauty, quiet and harmony with the earth. Look for our regular meditation retreats too under the Events tab.